There is a school uniform which is worn throughout the school. The items with the school logo can be purchased in-store or on-line from Schoolwear Solutions based in Oadby, Leicester.
Please ensure that all items of clothing, bags, purses and wallets are clearly named.
The Governors are responsible for the school’s policy on dress and have an expectation that parents/carers will adopt the following code for their children as:
- It counteracts peer pressure to wear unsuitable clothing
- It is safe and more hygienic as it is appropriate for the activities the children are doing
- It is economical
- It encourages a sense of identity and pride in our school
- Navy blue jumpers, cardigans or sweatshirts – preferable with the school logo.
- Plain white shirts, polo shirts or blouses.
- Black or grey trousers or jogging bottoms; black or grey skirts or pinafore dresses.
- Black or dark grey tights.
- Black shoes or black trainers (UGG style boots and heeled shoes are not permitted).
- In SUMMER the following may be worn: Black or grey knee length shorts or navy colour scheme dresses.
- Plain sandals, in one of the school colours (black, navy, or white) with straps are permitted in the summer (flip flops, jelly shoes and ‘crocs’ are not suitable and therefore not permitted).
- Hair accessories should be kept to plain black, blue or white headbands, hair bands and clips.
- Fleeces, sweatshirts, cardigans and polo shirts with the Riverside logo are available to order on-line from https://schoolwearsolutions.com/. All other items are also available from other department or chain stores.
Unacceptable Clothing For School
Denim jeans, football shirts, crop tops, leggings instead of trousers, cycling shorts, fashion scarves, flip flops/’crocs’ or other jelly shoes and shoes with high heels or platforms.
On days when your child has PE they should come to school already in their full school PE kit which they will remain in for the full day. Please ensure that all uniform and PE kits are washed regularly.
Goggles are not usually permitted during swimming lessons.
In gymnastics and dance lessons, children participate in bare feet, but for other PE activities a change of footwear is required and should be either plimsolls or trainers with a non-marking sole.
For Indoor PE:
- Black shorts
- Plain blue t-shirt (no logos or slogans)
- Footwear: Bare feet or trainers (with non-marking sole), plimsoll type shoes.
For Outdoor PE:
- Black shorts
- Blue t-shirt in fine weather
- Plain track suit in cold weather.
- Footwear: Trainers (with a non-marking sole), plimsolls, football boots (if appropriate), and spare socks. Key Stage 2 children should bring trainers for outdoor PE, particularly when they are using the field.
Each child should have a small bag to keep his/her kit in. Every item of clothing, footwear or other property must be marked with the child’s name – either with sewn in labels or indelible marker pen. This is important and parents should make every effort to ensure that their children’s clothing can be easily identified.
- Jewellery, make up and nail varnish should not be worn to school.
- Only stud earrings or authorised medical chains may be worn.
- Watches must be ‘time-telling’ devices only.
We insist that all watches are removed for physical activities and earrings are removed. This is in line with the County Health and Safety Policy on Jewellery.
Children may cover their earrings for physical activities up to six weeks after having their ears pierced. If you would like your child to have their ears pierced, we would strongly encourage you to arrange for this to happen at the beginning of the summer break. If a child needs to have their ears covered, it is the responsibility of parents/carers to provide the tape and for children to apply the tape themselves. Earrings MUST come out for swimming.
Teachers must not remove or replace earrings. They cannot be responsible for the consequences of removing or replacing earrings. Parents cannot transfer this responsibility to teachers.
School teams will be loaned kit for matches and parents are asked to return it to school as soon as possible. For art/craft activities an apron or old shirt is advisable.
Occasionally, our school PTA hold second hand sales at school events - please keep a look out for PTA announcements.